The best pet insurance plans for your furry friend!
As parents of pets, we all want the best for our furry companions. In case something happens, you know your insurance plan is here for you! The best pet insurance can give you peace of mind by covering pet emergencies.
We’ll start with our recommendations for the best pet insurance. Next, we’ll talk about how you can choose the best plans for your animal friends. Additionally, we will discuss some alternatives to pet health insurance.
The best pet insurance plans can cover your pet, no matter what! We never want to think that something bad is happening to our pets. Unfortunately, this can happen eventually, so it’s best to be prepared just in case.
# 1. Nationwide – For dogs, cats and even exotic pets!
When people think of pets, dogs or cats quickly come to mind. However, people also take care of other animals. Their pets also deserve protection, don’t they?
This is why Nationwide covers a wide range of exotic animals. Here are some of the unique pets that can get national insurance:
Of course, they also cover dogs and cats. Nationwide offers similar plans for these pets. Here are the usual emergencies and problems included:
- Accidents and injuries
- Chronic diseases
- Common illnesses
- Health tests
It is our choice for the best pet insurance because it covers various pets. Plus, you get lots of discounts if you have a lot of pets! You won’t find this feature in the others on our list.
- Average monthly cost – $ 60 for dogs, $ 35 for cats, $ 15 for birds, $ 20 for other animals
- Usual payment term – Five days or less
- Waiting period before coverage becomes effective – 14 days
- Free telehealth services? – Telehealth is covered by exam coverage. Plus, it includes a 24/7 online pet service run by professional vets.
- Maximum annual payment – None for the major medical plan. Meanwhile, it’s $ 10,000 for the Whole Pet Wellness plan.
- Discounts? – Get a 5% discount if you have AAA, AARP or memberships for other groups.
- Discounts for several animals – If you have two or three animals, you get a 5% discount. You get 10% if you have four or more.
- How to file complaints – Use their portal or online application.
# 2. PetPlan – More covers your pet’s needs
Most pet insurance plans only cover accidents and illnesses. This is normal since pet owners need it. What if it could provide more, though? Well, maybe PetPlan is what you need!
One of its unique features is COVID-19 coverage. According to the CDC, some pets may also experience symptoms. PetPlan is one of the few insurers to offer this protection.
What else, PetPlan can cut costs for other purposes. For example, you can get up to $ 1,000 for a virtual vet consultation and around $ 50-250 for pet exam visits.
We put it below Nationwide because it only covers dogs and cats.
Note that your plan will depend on several factors. Contact PetPlan for a precise quote. You can reach them by phone or live chat.
- Average monthly cost – Examples of bonuses have been $ 40.14 for dogs and $ 18.25 for cats.
- Usual payment term – 22 days
- Waiting period before coverage becomes effective – For illnesses and infirmities, it is 15 days.
- Free telehealth services? – Get up to $ 1,000 each year for covered health issues.
- Maximum annual payment – $ 2,500 or more
- Discounts? – Different discounts depending on the customer’s membership
- Discounts for several animals – Nothing
- How to file complaints – Use their app.
# 3. PetFirst – Keep Your Pets Safe AND Healthy
It’s good to have insurance that can help you in case your pet gets into trouble. As a pet owner, there are steps you can take to prevent such emergencies from occurring.
This includes good nutrition and the maintenance of health. Fortunately, PetFirst offers pet insurance that can help you through their Routine care coverage.
Don’t settle for a simple accident plan. Add this feature to your PetFirst insurance plan and give your dog or cat the following:
- Routine examinations and tests
- Dental cleaning
- Behavioral training
You can choose from their different package options. Or choose the Routine Rider coverage, then add other features. Click here to learn more about PetFirst.
- Average monthly cost – Dog packages can cost $ 15 or more. For cats, packages start at $ 9.
- Usual payment term – They process 80% of complaints within ten days.
- Waiting period before coverage becomes effective – Accident coverage begins at midnight. There is a 14 day waiting period for illnesses.
- Free telehealth services? – Nothing.
- Maximum annual payment – You have several options, including an unlimited plan.
- Discounts? – Nothing.
- Discounts for several animals – Yes.
- How to file complaints – You can submit complaints using their online portal, email, fax and even standard mail.
How to choose the best pet insurance?
You have three choices for pet insurance. They are distributed according to the coverage of their packages. Learn more about them below:
- Accident only – As the name suggests, it helps you cover the costs of treatment if your pet is injured. These are a good choice for older pets who cannot get health coverage.
- Accident and illness – It helps you pay in case your pet gets sick or injured. Get this for your dog or cat before these emergencies arise.
- Full – If your pets have special needs, these are the best insurance plans for them. This can cover genetic conditions, behavioral training, and routine care. Obtain them by asking your insurer for the available options.
Now let’s see the Common benefits of pet insurance. See which ones you need and make sure your plan provides them. Here are some of those features:
- Veterinary bills – for example, veterinary examination fees, visits to the veterinarian
- Board costs – Let’s say you or a member of your family has been hospitalized. The pet insurance company can take care of your dog or cat until you get home.
- Multi-animal insurance – If you have more than one pet, you don’t need to give each an insurance plan. Instead, you can get a policy for each of them.
Please read all of the terms before purchasing a plan, such as annual deductibles and repayment terms. Note that most pet insurance plans do not cover pre-existing conditions.
Note that you can find many other pet insurance plans that are not on our list. For example, you can try Healthy paws if you want more options.
Sometimes the best pet insurance is not available for your dog. Maybe they are over your budget. Maybe your pet can’t qualify for some reason.
How else can you protect your dog or cat then? Well then you can set up a pet emergency fund. You can put money somewhere in your home or put money into a savings account.
While you’re at it, maybe you should build up an emergency fund? If you have debts on the way, learn how to get rid of it here. You can also click this link for more budget advice.
Learn more about pet insurance
What is the best pet insurance?
Nationwide is our choice for the best pet insurance plans. It offers various features for a wide range of pets, not just dogs or cats.
What is the most economical pet insurance?
This will depend on various factors such as your pet’s breed, health condition, and age. You will find that insurance companies charge for these features differently.
Do vets recommend pet insurance?
Veterinarians recommend pet insurance because it helps owners take care of their pets in an emergency. What else, it’s easy to get one for your pet.